With the aid of Manfred Hering, owner of the Early 911S shop in Wüppertal, Germany, the authors Andreas Gabriel and Thobias Kindermann published Porsche 911 : Aircooled years 1974 – 1989. The Porsche 911 model range that was produced from 1974 to 1989 is often called the Porsche 911 G model. The impact bumpers make them easy recognizable. During the period the G model was produced in Zuffenhausen, there were introduced some changes
The 5 chapters of Porsche 911 : aircooled years 1974 -1989 are
- Evolution of the first generation – model years 1974 – 1977
- The arrival of the Turbo technology at Porsche / model years 1975 – 1977
- The death of a leged? model years 1978 – 1983
- The end of an Era – model years 1984 – 1989
- The cult of the spoiler and widened mud-guards – model years 1978 – 1989
Each chapters of the book gives a detailed description of the different generations of the Porsche 911 G mode, including the year by year changes that were introduced to the cars. At the end of each chapter, the special editions of that period are presented. These include the production quantities, that were verified by Porsche. We love this detail, and books bringing these detail are just of a higher standard, we believe. At the end of each chapter, Manfred Hering give’s us a purchase advise about a specific model of the Porsche 911.
Extremely interesting in the book is the interview with Friedrich Bezner who claims to be the man responsible for the saving of the Porsche 911. According to Friedrich Bezner, Peter W. Schutz only came in later with that… During the research for the book, the authors had full entrance to the Porsch Archives. That allowed them to have previously unpublished pictures in the book, including pictures of Helmut Bott testing a Porsche 911 in Algeria.
The book is both in German and English, what we consider a good thing. Personally I would have chosen another color than the blue for the English text, but that’s just a minor issue. Overal we are very pleased with the book, that we believe is a valuable addition for your Porsche library, no matter if you own a Porsche 911 of the G model range or not.
- Author : Andreas Gabriel – Thomas Kindermann – Engel – Hering
- Publisher : Berlin Motorbooks
- Language : German / English
- Limited edition : 2018 copies
- Pages : 425 with numerous pictures and illustrations
- ISBN : 978-3-9814592-3-4