We had the honor to take a sneak view in the book ‘Porsche 911 – Aircooled years 1974 – 1989’ by Andreas Gabriel, Thobias Kindermann and Manfred Hering. I don’t exagerate when I tell you the authors are domain specialists. Andreas Gabriel and Thobias Kindermann are the authors of Porsche Speedster – Legends live forever 1989 -2001 and the book Porsche Turbo – aircooled years 1975 – 1998 is from the hand of Andreas Gabriel. Manfred Hering is owner of the renowed Early 911 S in Wüppertal, dealing and restoring early Porsche 911s.
The book has 5 major chapters
- Evolution of the first generation – model years 1974 – 1977
- The arrival of the Turbo technology at Porsche / model years 1975 – 1977
- The death of a leged? model years 1978 – 1983
- The end of an Era – model years 1984 – 1989
- The cult of the spoiler and widened mud-guards – model years 1978 – 1989
The authors had full acces to the Porsche Archives to do their research. They stumbled upon many previously unpublished pictures, like the pictures of Helmut Bott testing a Porsche 911 in Algeria? Or how ’bout the story of the savior of the Porsche 911, a story that might surprise anyone of us ? In each chapter, Manfred Hering give’s us a purchase advise about a specific model of the Porsche 911. And ofcourse the special editions that left the factory in this period, deserve some attention too. Probably for the first time, the exact quantitites of the special editions, numbers confirmed by the Porsche factory.
We’ll bring you a more detailed review of the book as soon as we have our own copy, but this book definitely looks promising.
- Author : Andreas Gabriel – Thomas Kindermann – Engel – hering
- Publisher : Berlin Motorbooks
- Language : German / English
- Limited edition : 1989 copies
- Pages : 425 with numerous pictures and illustrations
- ISBN : 978-3-9814592-3-4