The 33 participants contesting the Transsyberia Rally are optimally prepared to tackle the first special stage in Mongolia on Sunday. Saturday’s rest halt is used by the Porsche teams to do routine checks and maintenance work on their 385 hp Cayenne S Transsyberia vehicles. On Sunday the teams expect a tough special stage on gravel and rocky tracks. The leg finishes in Mankhan after 440 kilometres.
“I’m happy that as the leaders of the classification we’ll be first out on the stage. Because if you are stuck in the dust of someone in front you can easily hit a stone or end up in a deep pothole,” explains ex-European rally champion Armin Schwarz (Austria), who is co-driven by Oliver Hilger (Germany). Schwarz added: “If you get lost or have to change a tyre, two or three competitors can pass and then you have to eat their dust!”
The Polish duo Jarek Sliwka and Andrzej Bryl also tackle the second part of the rally with optimism. “We are both very much looking forward to the stages here. That will be a fantastic challenge for us and our Cayenne,” said Sliwka.
“You definitely have to exercise caution here. Over the next days we will experience stresses that don’t get much more extreme,” believes Carles Celma (Spain), who currently lies second with co-driver Jörn Pugmeister (Germany).
Classification after 8 of 14 legs:
1. Armin Schwarz/Oliver Hilger, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 1:08.52,92 hrs
2. Jarek Sliwka/Andrzej Bryl, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 0:01,89 min behind
3. Carles Celma/Jörn Pugmeister, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 0:51,31 min
4. Rod Millen/Richard Kelsey, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 4:46,12 min
5. René Metge/Silvain Reisser, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 4:57,64 min
6. Biagio Capolupo/Angelo Lancelotti, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 5:32,97 min
7. Richard Meaden/Neil Hopkinson, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 6:09,42 min
8. Adel Abdulla/Norbert Lutteri, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 6:48,55 min
9. Pau Soer/Laia Peinado, Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia, 6:56,35 min
10. Simon Garnham/Matt Garnham, Toyota Landcruiser, 7:13,52 min